About Harlingen High School South
Harlingen High School South will create a safe, collaborative, and academically inspiring environment where all students graduate as responsible citizens that are college and career ready.
We empower students to create, compete, and reach for excellence.
- We believe in the school's and community's ability to responsibly meet the needs of all our students.
- We believe that students become college and career ready through a well-rounded educational experience that emphasizes academics, athletics, and the arts.
- We believe that a safe and secure environment is required to promote authentic learning experiences, responsibility, and informed decision making.
- We believe in empowering students to advocate for their school & community and become productive citizens with a selfless sense of service.
- We believe that engaging and informing parents is critical to their children's success.
- We believe in instruction that utilizes critical thinking, collaboration, and engagement to develop life long learners.
- Our academic programs consistently earn top honors at the district, regional, and state level. Our awards include 18 District Championships and 5 Regional Championships.
- Our Air Force JROTC program is ranked in the top 5% globally.
- Our Speech, Drama and Debate program has ranked in the top 10 in the state of Texas since 1996. Their program has produced 7 National Finalists and 11 State Champions. They were also named School of Excellence Speech Team in 2009 (only 13 schools in the nation received this award).
- Our choir, band and orchestra programs continually earn top district, regional and state honors with many of our students qualifying for state ensembles.
- Many of our athletics programs have qualified for the Sweet 16 and Elite 8 competitive levels. They also continually earn championship titles at the district, regional and state level.
- Our Advanced Placement (AP) scores are a source of pride. The percentage of our students scoring a 3 or above is above the national average. In 2015-2016, 34 South students earned AP Scholar distinctions.
- Our campus has had 100% of our seniors apply and be accepted to post-secondary institutions for three years in a row. The Class of 2015 received over $15 million in scholarships.